Cookie Recipes in a Jar
Cookie recipes in a jar are a delicious, versatile, and an inexpensive gift ideas when you are stuck on what to give. Quick to prepare so you can make large batches to prepare several gifts at the same time!
Of all the cookie recipes in a jar, this oatmeal cookie recipe is one of my favourites. The spices add a real holiday flavour, and the cookies are a nice mix of chewy and crunchy.
Ingredients (to fill 1 quart/1L jar)
- 1 cup (120g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5g) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (3g) salt
- 1 tsp (2g) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (0.5g) ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (100g) white sugar
- 1/2 cup (110g) brown sugar
- 2 cups (180g) rolled oats
- 1 cup (150g) raisins
Add 1 cup of chocolate chips, saltanas, cranberries, cherries, or other dried fruit in place of raisins.
- Mix together flour, spices, baking soda, salt and white sugar (I'll call this the flour mix).
- Layer ingredients into your jar in the following order: flour mix, brown sugar, oats, raisins.
- Decorate your jar with a scrap of fabric (you can trace a circle of fabric out neatly by using an upturned breakfast bowl), a pretty ribbon, and attach the instructions below.
Storage: so long as the jar is air-tight, the cookie mix will last as long as any of the individual ingredients (just look on the packaging), which is normally a couple of months.
- Empty cookie mix into a large mixing bowl and mix together ingredients.
- Add 3/4 cup (170g) butter (softened), one egg, and 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla essence.
- Mix all ingredients together thoroughly.
- Shape heaped teaspoons of dough into small balls. Place on a parchment-lined tray 2 inches (5cm) apart.
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 10 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 5 or so minutes on the cookie tray, then move the cookies to a rack to finish cooling.
Yield: 36 scruptious cookies!
Write out the instructions above on a nice card, or print out my PDF Label, pictured below.
For more cookie recipes in a jar or other decadent treats, check out the links below...