50th Birthday Gag Gifts
and Funny 50th Birthday Quotes
Looking for some great ideas for Homemade 50th Birthday Gag Gifts?
Turning 50 is a big occasion in most people's lives. Are you over-the-hill already, or are you standing on the very top, admiring the view? 50 is the new 40 anyway, so perhaps you aren't even at the top yet?
In any case, 50th birthdays are big events for most people, and it can be hard to think of an appropriate birthday gift. Why not give the gift of a few laughs? We all work too hard and take ourselves too seriously most days anyway!
To get you started, here are some of my favourite ideas for 50th birthday gag gifts, along with some funny 50th birthday quotes and sayings that you could write in an accompanying card.
Feel free to get creative and use the ideas on this page as a springboard to generate your own great 50th birthday gag gifts. Got some good ideas of your own? Then share your humor here . You can also see what other readers have contributed :-)
For extra inspiration, make sure you also check out my homemade gag gifts page - a bunch of the ideas there can also be adapted as 50th birthday gag gifts.
50th Birthday Funny Poster
Make a personalized poster to celebrate the momentous occasion of their 50th birthday!
50th Birthday Gag Gifts - Garden Chimes
My mother bought a bunch of door numbers from the local hardware store and made a garden chime for my Aunty's 50th birthday present. She bought just 5's and 0's, and strung them up in a line off a piece of wood. Very silly, and we all had a good laugh!
50th Birthday Gag Gifts - Gag Gift Basket
Some people think they are really old when they turn 50. They're not really...not these days anyway! But, if you know someone who is complaining about getting old and turning 50, why not put together a gift basket will all those essential items for old age :
- Prune juice (why not also pop in an accompanying sherry or champagne glass?)
- Arthritis rub
- Depends undergarments
- Denture cleaning products
- A hand-held fan (for all the hot flushes)
- Magnifying glass
- Crossword puzzle book
- A bag of marbles...for when you lose yours!
- Paperclips...because sometimes it's hard to hold it all together as you get older!
- "anti-wrinkle cream"...you could buy some crack filler from the hardware store and re-label it as an anti-wrinkle remedy
These ideas are just the start....I am sure there are many more funny items you can add to the list!
50th Birthday Gag Gifts - Fifty Sucks!
If the person turning 50 has a sweet tooth, why not buy them 50 lollipops or other types of lollies, wrap them up nicely and and label your gift with "Fifty Sucks!" .
So silly, and yet so funny...
50th Birthday Gag Gifts - Fifty Rocks!
For some people, turning 50 is great! So, count out 50 rocks and wrap them up nicely, and label your gift with "50 Rocks!"
My husband thought of this one, so you can blame him for the awful pun ;-)
50th Birthday Gag Gifts - Hot Flash Survival Kit
For a woman turning 50, hot flashes could be imminent! Put together this handy hot flash survival kit:
- Hand held fan
- Ice packs
- Pocket handkerchief (for wiping your brow)
- Change of t-shirt
- Danger sign ( download full-size pdf ). "Danger. Menopausal woman. May hot flash or spontaneously combust at any moment."
- Emergency medication (chocolate or M&MS)
50th Birthday Gag Gifts - Anti-Aging Pills
Put some jelly beans in a pill-jar. Instructions: "Under normal circumstances, take one tablet per day. In emergencies like yours, eat them all at once."
50th Birthday Gag Gifts - Badges
Make a badge that your 50 year old friend will be proud to wear. You can buy badge-making kits at your local craft store, or just make a sign that can be attached with a safety pin.
Here are some ideas for things to write on the badge:
- I'm not 50. I'm 18, with 32 years of experience!
- I'm not 50. I'm only $49.95, plus tax!
- In dog years, I'd be dead.
- Recycled Teenager
That makes me 50!
50th Birthday Gag Gifts - Printable Certificate
"If things get better with age, then you're approaching magnificent! Congratulations on your 50th Birthday"
Download the Certified Oldie certificate, and award it to them on their birthday! This file is in Microsoft Word format, so you can customise the certificate as much as you like.
50th Birthday Gag Gifts - Printable Warning Sign
"Caution. 50 year old. May make sudden, desperate attempts to appear sexy, youthful and important. Approach with caution!"
A little while ago my husband discovered an online warning sign generator, and had some fun making silly signs.
Sadly the sign generator has disappeared, but fortunately for you he kept the signs he made.
Download and print out this 50th Birthday Caution Sign PDF and put it up at the 50th birthday party! It is sure to bring a laugh!
50th Birthday Gag Gifts - In Case of Emergency (I.C.E.) Tag
As you know, people can become forgetful as they age. So, you might like to give the birthday boy/girl an emergency tag in case they get lost. They'll be sure to appreciate your thoughtful gesture.
The message might be something like "In Case of Emergency: If you find me looking lost and confused, please return me to Greenfields Nursing Home, 21 Woodgrow St, Springvale, Ph 850-316-6681"
(Thanks to Kathy Brady for this excellent idea!)
50th Birthday Gag Gifts - A cake with 50 candles, and a bucket of water!
Putting candles on your cake is something people grow out of. But they say that old age is like returning to infancy, so why not revive the tradition? Put 50 candles on their cake! When they've recovered from their astonishment, you can tell them:
"Don't count. Just enjoy the glow" .
You could also hand the person a little plastic bucket filled with water (or a fire extinguisher)...
"You might be needing this to help blow out your candles this year!"
Mustache remover (for a woman)
Wrap up some duct tape and label it as "Mustache Remover" or "Facial Hair Remover".
Thanks to reader Angie for sending in this idea!
As a side note, isn't it perplexing when you offer someone a compliment on their mustache and then suddenly she's not your friend any more?
Funny 50th Birthday Quotes
Here are some funny 50th Birthday sayings to accompany your gag gift. These little quotes make great birthday card messages:
- Happy 20th Anniversary of your 30th Birthday
- The years between fifty and seventy are the hardest. You are always being asked to do things, and yet you are not decrepit enough to turn them down. - T. S. Eliot
- If things get better with age then you're approaching magnificent - Anon
- The tragedy of getting old: So many candles… so little cake - Anon
- You are only young once, but you can be immature for a lifetime - John Grier
- Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional - Chili Davis
- I still have a full deck; I just shuffle slower now - Anon
- I'm fat and you're old...but at least I can diet! - Anon
- Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live! - Anon
- I think when the full horror of being fifty hits you, you should stay home and have a good cry. - Alan Bleasdale
- Birthdays are nature’s way of telling us to eat more cake. - Anon.
More 50th Birthday Message Ideas
Looking for something more to write in a 50th Birthday Card? Why not reflect on what was happening in the year of their birth... back in the good ol' days of 1966... .
These facts are summarised from www.thepeoplehistory.com .How much things cost in 1966
- A gallon of gas costs 32cents
- The average price of a new car is $2,650
- The average price of a new house is $14,200
- The average annual income is $6,900
- Star Trek first episode aired on TV
- Simon and Garfunkel release the album "Sounds of Silence"
- Other popular songs include "I'm a Believer" by the Monkees, "Good Vibrations" by the Beach Boys, and "Monday Monday" by the Mamas and the Papas
- Pampers creates the first disposable diaper
- Kevlera is invented in the USA
- Fibre optic cables are invented in England
To make a really neat gift, turn the facts from their birth year into a poster-gift like this:
Looking for more interesting facts? Do a google search for "on this day in 1966", and find out what was actually happening on the day that they were born!
Looking for more ideas?
I hope my list gave you some good ideas! If you're still looking for more 50th Birthday Gag Gifts, check out my homemade gag gifts page - I'm sure you'll find other ideas that you could adapt for a 50th birthday gift.
Also, do let me know if you have any funny 50th birthday gag gift ideas that you'd like to contribute to this collection. I promise I'll give you full credit! (Unless you're embarrassed and don't want to be mentioned ;-)
Finally, if you're wondering what to write in the birthday card, then you might like to check out my...